Is mid July too late to incubate and hatch chicken eggs from my little flock

deedledumpling1

Songster
5 Years
Jan 9, 2018
Burnsville, NC
I had hoped I would have one of my hens go broody, but not happened yet! I only have 4. I have an BS Ameracauna rooster, and two Easter Egger hens who lay a pale green egg. I have read that the blue egg gene is dominate. So my Easter eggers have the blue gene, as does my Rooster, so would like to hatch some of their fertilized green eggs to hopefully get a couple Blue egg layers.

Is it too late in the season??

Thanks, diana

I had hoped I would have one of my hens go broody, but not happened yet! I only have 4. I have an BS Ameracauna rooster, and two Easter Egger hens who lay a pale green egg. I have read that the blue egg gene is dominate. So my Easter eggers have the blue gene, as does my Rooster, so would like to hatch some of their fertilized green eggs to hopefully get a couple Blue egg layers.

Is it too late in the season??

Thanks, diana
This is a geographically related question. I'm in Florida. Hatch tomorrow (day 21) and on the 21st of July another hatch.
Coming up will be the Annual BYC sponsored Halloween Hatch-along. As well as The BYC sponsored New Years day Hatch-along.
Some folks hatch all year round.

There is a wives tail that chicks hatched in the fall will be smaller as adults.

There is no valid reason for this to be true.

Set all the eggs!.jpg

I have 27 in the incubator right now, will be hatching in a week, the only drawback in hatching layers late is they possibly don’t lay eggs until spring, so might take them longer. Most of the ones I hatched in early spring lays egg as early as 5 months old (August).

Back
Top Bottom