Is month old feed OK to use?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Moselle, May 4, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    I bought a bag of Purina Start & Grow about a month ago. The bag hasn't been opened, and it's been stored in a big trash bag in the house. Is it OK to use or should I throw it out?

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Is there any mold or bugs in the feed?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure. I'd use it. It's just a month beyond however long the feed store had it. If it's dry it's fine. We store our own rice and pasta for a year after we buy it in bulk.

4. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks - I will check for bugs / mold; I'm guessing it's nice and dry (although my 3yo is known for dumping his unwanted juice in inconvenient places [​IMG].)

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Absolutely use it as long as it was kept in a nice dry place.

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Are you kidding? Most of the stuff in my refrigerator is older than that. [​IMG]

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    "Clean and dry" is the single most important concept you need remember when dealing with chickens.

This extends to their feed. As long as you've met those criteria, you're sitting pretty. Stop worrying.

8. Hope119

Hope119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    what about layer pellets that were stored for about 1 year (or longer, actually, since our chicks are too little to get layer pellets)? one back is opened, the other is still closed. 50lbs.
    and what about cracked corn of the same age, opened bag?
    Thanks!

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The older feed is from milling the more the nutritional value of the feed decreases. The usual rule of thumb I've read is try to use up feed within three months of purchase, but of course you have no way of knowing how old the bag is when you buy it! As long as it's not mouldy or spoiled, you can still use it, but it won't be as nutritious as when it was fresh.

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would use it as long as there is no mold on it....why waste??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by