Is my Ameraucana hen broody?

We've only had chickens for a year, and never one that was broody, but our chickens do that all the time when we interrupt them in the nest box when they're trying to lay. Earlier this week I thought we may have had a broody hen because she was doing exactly what you explained, and was in the nest box for a few hours. But then she got up and started foraging with the rest of the flock, and hasn't been back in the nest box except to lay.

Every bird is unique though, so yours could be broody! I don't have any experience with broody hens, just sharing my experience! Best of luck! :D

We've only had chickens for a year, and never one that was broody, but our chickens do that all the time when we interrupt them in the nest box when they're trying to lay. Earlier this week I thought we may have had a broody hen because she was doing exactly what you explained, and was in the nest box for a few hours. But then she got up and started foraging with the rest of the flock, and hasn't been back in the nest box except to lay.

Every bird is unique though, so yours could be broody! I don't have any experience with broody hens, just sharing my experience! Best of luck! :D
That is what I thought too, that I had disturbed her laying an egg. But her response was much different. She was a lot more aggressive and did not come down later, which I think she would have if she had been only laying an egg.

That is what I thought too, that I had disturbed her laying an egg. But her response was much different. She was a lot more aggressive and did not come down later, which I think she would have if she had been only laying an egg.
I guess I will just wait and see. Hopefully I will know for sure in a day or 2

So what you are saying is move her to another nest with fake eggs then give her some new fertile eggs. That sounds like a good idea. I am going to think about that. This is a new development and one I had not prepared for.
Yep, it's just easier...especially if you already have a another coop section.
I just take down the wire wall with in a week of hatch and let the reintegration begin.

This is the nest I use:
full

Then I set up a little creep feeder area so chicks can eat in peace:

Back
Top Bottom