Is my Banty Egg totally doomed?

Hey Diamond Peahen, If I may ask, Is the mother and the father of the same breed? This has nothing to do with me helping your problem, unfortunately
hmm.png
But I really do hope he hatches out for you.
I also have luck with my hatching, but I use an incubator. I had 22 eggs in my incubator, and 20 hatched out! I have been ranting about it all day long, and I don't have a clue as to what i want to do with them:/ They are hybrids, between 2 RIR 3BRs and 1 EE and 2 others that idk what breed they are, and the rooster is a EE. But I want a little variety in my flock, you know? Anyone know what i should maybe get? I now have 29 hybrid chicks and 13 adult chicks,and i don't want to keep all of them.......

My egg is a pure Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam. It was also pipped this morning!
love.gif
I'm going to go check it again after this post. (To chickenlovefever) >It's hard to tell what a hybrid chick will look like when it's grown, but you can kind of tell their feather color from the way the down looks. If they have really puffy looking faces, they will be bearded. All your black chicks with yellow faces and a dot on their head will probably look more like the barred rock parents and the brownish red chicks will look more like the Rhode Island Red parents. What color is your EE hen? Her chicks will all be distictly different than the others due to her being mated to her own breed. What color was she as a chick and what color is she now? What color is the Easter Egger Father? Do you know what he looked like as a chick? Most Easter Egger chicks are striped like a chipmunk, but some are bred by exibitors to be solid colors like lavender and black. Also, if you can post pics of your unknown breeds, I may be able to help you there as well.

Last edited:
Here she is!
love.gif
I didn't even have to help her! She is now residing in the house in her own personal box.

99558_barette.jpg

If she's a pullet, I'm going to call her Barette. I she's a roo, I don't know what I'll name her yet. I guess I'll know what to name her in 2 weeks when her breast feathers come in! I'll post another picture when she gets all dried off. Thank-you soo much everybody! I don't know how I would have gotten through this without your support
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I didn't have the hen and rooster as chicks, i got them at about a year old. but the hen is a lacish-gold color, and I love her. I hatched a batch before the ones i have now, and as they are growing out their real feathers i can see which chicks are fom the barred rocks, and which ones are from the RIRs. But I have a Silver Wyndotte and two other hens that I dont have a clue as to what they are. The chicks that aren't from the Barred Rocks and Aren't from the RIRs look like this:
Now this one has some sort of brown-black striping to him.He was a reddish color as a fluffy lil chick.
332349u.jpg

These are some of my second batch chicks. and yes, they are a couple days old and doing fine outdoors. The little red one, I don't know where he came from. I know all of them are mixed. None of these chicks are pure EE, except for the only green egg that i hatched out in my last batch. I still don't get why the chipmunk looking ones look like they do, they arent out of my BRs or RIRs.
29liljl.jpg

And here are just about all of them. the black ones are out of my BRs, and the yellow nes out of my RIRs, and the chipmunk ones, idk. I have two hens that are an unknown breed, and a silver laced wyndotte.
im6sjn.jpg

Here are the two unknown breed of hens..... neither of them are EEs. I am sure of it, because they have no fluff and have a single comb (? I guess i have that right)
egxpwy.jpg

210m1r6.jpg

The first chick pictured is probably a cross between your Silver Laced Wyandotte and your EE Rooster. I can see a trace of lacing in the feathers that has been badly distorted by it's fathers genes. It also looks like it may have a pea or rose comb. All the little chipmunk striped ones in pics #2 and #3 will be patterned similar to the EE father, hen, and your cross hen in pic #4. They were most likely that color, or a similar color, as chicks. The red one in the second pic looks like it's mother may also have been the hen in pic #4. I'll explain why when I talk about her below. The little white striped one in the back of pic #3 looks like it may be a very unique bird when it grows up. I've never seen one quite like it. As for your unknowns, there is a pretty good chance that the one in pic #4 may be an EE cross. Her comb is the result of crossing a single combed bird with a pea combed bird like an EE. She has no wattles, and some short feathers on her neck and face where the wattles would have been. This also suggests an EE cross. I'm guessing that the EE was probably crossed with a Partridge Rock to produce your hen. Her Partridge Rock parent may have caused the chick in pic #2 to be dark brown like it is (Pure Partridge colored chicks are very dark brown with lots of dark tinting around the face and tail area). Being a cross, she has the unique ability to throw colors from both her parents (plus a few odd balls! lol) when her eggs are hatched, so she may very well be responsible for some of your chipmunk babies as well as the dark red one. The hen in picture #5 appears to be a Barred Rock crossed to a Silver Laced Wyandotte. It's colored like the BR and shaped like a Wyandotte. You can also see where the diluted lacing genes tried to show up on the front of her breast and neck. Her comb base is also right were a Wyandottes would be. Hope I helped and good luck with your chickies!
smile.png

Well Thankyou very much, that was a helpful dose of information! I like having my mixes, I never know what I am going to get. I have another chick, but not in the pic, that was a deep red with white specks. I made him my best friend
tongue.png
But yes thankyou very much it did help me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom