Is my Barred Rock a Rooster?

tulipsonfires

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
So "Oreo" is pretty aggressive, was mounting a hen this morning and sounds like she/he is trying to crow... Here are some pictures, what do you think? Also, if we have hens for eggs, what's your opinion on keeping a rooster? Is it a waste of resources? We won't likely ever eat any of our own chickens, so we wouldn't keep him for that purpose. I don't know that we are ready to start letting our hens brood as we are VERY new to this all.

Definitely a rooster. I would recommend keeping him, I have two BR roos. They are great protectors of the flock. Whenever a hawk flies over or there is some sort of predator around, they make the girls all go in the coop and hide and they keep watch until it is safe to let the girls back out. They do get really big, which I think is good because because the neighbor's cants aren't going to mess with them. Make sure you continue to hold him every day, they can get pretty aggressive. Like I said, I have two - same hatchery order, grew up together, same human contact, but they are complete opposites. One attacks, and the other loves snuggling. But my advice is don't get rid of him unless he gives you a reason.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. We will keep him for a protector, that will be great!

It is unlikely that hatchery Barred Rocks will go broody, so your concerns there are fairly remote. If you like crowing and wouldn't mind using an incubator to make some more chicks, then yup. A rooster is the way to go.

Yes, if that bird is 8 weeks old, that is a cockerel.

Pullets appear darker because they only carry one barring gene, while the cockerels carry two. That comb and those wattles, on a bird under 10-12 weeks of age? Cockerel. Pullets don't sprout those characteristic until later.

I think she/he's a roo. If so, I recommend that you keep him because he will protect the flock.

Back
Top Bottom