Is my broody hen sick?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
My broody hen has been sitting on 11 eggs and it's day 23 this morning.
At least a couple of chicks hatched yesterday and she hasn't left the nest since day 21 evening.
The problem is that she has kept closing her eyes as if she's sick for the last few days. She looks so tired.
This morning (day 23), she's squinting as if she can't keep her eyes open.
Yesterday (day 22), I fed her some chick starter and water while chicks were hatching under her, hoping she'd get better.
Now I'm worried maybe she's sick because she couldn't poop too long in the nest.
Or is she sick from something else?

hard to say .. ive had broodys get sick, lose feathers, develop sores, and get parasites .. im not set up with a large enough place and coop to allow a broody to hatch eggs, so i dont let them .. they go in the 'time out' pen to break them out of being broody so they become a productive member of the flock again ..

hard to say .. ive had broodys get sick, lose feathers, develop sores, and get parasites .. im not set up with a large enough place and coop to allow a broody to hatch eggs, so i dont let them .. they go in the 'time out' pen to break them out of being broody so they become a productive member of the flock again ..
Thank you for your comment.
I fed her in the nest again this morning and she ate and drank quite a bit.
Then started to close her eyes as if she's snoozing for a few seconds.
I wonder if some broody hens do this too...

Back
Top Bottom