Is my Buff Orpington a male or female ?

Is my BO a male or female ?

• Male

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
I keep hearing that Orpington's are slow to mature. I have a 6.5 week old one who has been sporting a a big red comb and wattles since 5 weeks old. Yesterday he was perched on a rock crowing. A thin, strangled sounded crow, but a definite crow. The little guy come out of the "95% hen" bin. I only bought two chicks, so it was my lucky day. :rolleyes: At least he didn't keep me in suspense.

Here is my fast developer at a little over 5 weeks old.
IMG_2048.JPG

I keep hearing that Orpington's are slow to mature. I have a 6.5 week old one who has been sporting a a big red comb and wattles since 5 weeks old. Yesterday he was perched on a rock crowing. A thin, strangled sounded crow, but a definite crow. The little guy come out of the "95% hen" bin. I only bought two chicks, so it was my lucky day. :rolleyes: At least he didn't keep me in suspense.
It's a general things, not universal. There are a lot of different strains out there of buff Orpingtons and some are very slow to show their true colors. I've seen it a number of times in here, some 7 or 8 months before the male feathers show. So I and others err on the side of caution with buff Orps to try to prevent disappointment.

Very true. My oldest Buff Orpingtons "English type" from this year are about 4 months old and just barely starting to develop more comb than their sisters. And no signs of saddle feathers yet.

Very true. My oldest Buff Orpingtons "English type" from this year are about 4 months old and just barely starting to develop more comb than their sisters. And no signs of saddle feathers yet.
Yeah. I think the late development is probably more common with the English type because they have more developing to do with their size and very full plumage. They are gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom