Is my Campbell immitating a mole???!!!

Wokawidget

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Hi,

I've had my Campbell, she's my avatar pic, for close to three years now and I've seen first hand all her stomps, splashes, fluffed up feathers and sploshing in mud.

Yesterday I saw her doing something that she's never done before.

There was a large muddy puddle and she was snuffling in it. Every 20-30 seconds she lift her body up and stomped up and down 5-7 times, then continued snuffling.

It was similar to a chicken: Step forward, scratch, step back, look for treats, step forward, scratch...etc, but she didnt scratch, or walk forward or back ward, just stomped where she stood...and it wsn't her playing in water normal stop, it was very liberate timing, then back she looking for worms in the mud.

I know that scientists think worms come out of the ground when you jumpup and down because they think a mole is comiing.
Is this what she's doing?

Does anyone elses duck do this?

cheers,

Woka

Last edited:
Hi,

I've had my Campbell, she's my avatar pic, for close to three years now and I've seen first hand all her stomps, splashes, fluffed up feathers and sploshing in mud.

Yesterday I saw her doing something that she's never done before.

There was a large muddy puddle and she was snuffling in it. Every 20-30 seconds she lift her body up and stomped up and down 5-7 times, then continued snuffling.

It was similar to a chicken:  Step forward, scratch, step back, look for treats, step forward, scratch...etc, but she didnt scratch, or walk forward or back ward, just stomped where she stood...and it wsn't her playing in water normal stop, it was very liberate timing, then back she looking for worms in the mud.

I know that scientists think worms come out of the ground when you jumpup and down because they think a mole is comiing.
Is this what she's doing?

Does anyone elses duck do this?

cheers,

Woka
If it is what she is deliberately trying to do, she is much smarter than my ducks! My girls do not do that! You must have your camera handy next time. I'd love to see a video! :thumbsup

If it is what she is deliberately trying to do, she is much smarter than my ducks! My girls do not do that! You must have your camera handy next time. I'd love to see a video!
thumbsup.gif
My girls love to root around in the mud, but they don't do a happy dance while doing it. I'd love to see a video.
pop.gif

i don't have a duck and i don't know much about ducks but I would love to see a video

I have tried for the last week and a bit to catch this on video and can't.
Then someone pasted a video of a goose yesterday asking if it was a goose or duck.

The goose in this video is doing exactly what my campbell does...apart from my campbell was snuffling in a large muddy puddle and not expecting treats near me.

She stomped 5-7 times....snuffle...stomp...snuffle.

http://screen.yahoo.com/duck-stomps-in-excitement-30642939.html

Has anyone seen their duck do this before while snuffling for food.

cheers,

Woka

I noticed my females do that too, I figured they know what they are doing. They seem to be happy and not aggrivated and of course the muddier the better!

Back
Top Bottom