Is my chicken being bullied?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HastingsChooks, Nov 4, 2013.

1. HastingsChooks

HastingsChooks New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    We have four chickens in our garden that have been there for about 4 weeks. We are getting regular eggs and all seemed to be going well.

However three days ago we noticed that one of them was sitting separately and has taken to sleeping in the nest box rather than on the perch with the others. Her eyes are still bright and she seems happy to roam the garden.

We are not sure if we're just being over worried or if there is anything wrong. Any help would be appreciated by a family of newbie chicken keepers.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I doubt she is getting bullied so much as she is lowest in the pecking order. Lower ranking hens, while not necessarily picked on, respect the other birds and tend to stay away the best they can. Or, she could simply enjoy being off on her own--some chickens are more independent than others, and every bird has its favorite sleeping spot. Unless the others start yanking feathers and/or drawing blood, she should be fine. But just to be safe, check her for mites and lice and observe her for a few days to make sure she isn't developing a disease, as behavior changes can be a sign of on-coming illness.

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  3. HastingsChooks

HastingsChooks New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I think were being over worried.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You don't want her sleeping in the nest, she'll poop it up.
    My low ranking birds(pullets) were sleeping in the nests and it took about 3 days or so of moving them from the nests to roosts after dark to change this habit. I still go out at dusk to check and push them out of the nests if needed once in a while.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have a boodah litter box used as a nest and would turn the opening to the wall at night.I have 4 right now too,and sometimes one is on the perch away from the others.I put her next to the rest.Probably she moves.

As long as there are no wounds I would let it go,but not the nestbox sleeping.I hate cleaning poopy eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by