Is my chicken broody or is something wrong with her

ww0473

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
florida
My Coop
My Coop
young buff orph. she has been laying eggs for about 2 months usually 1 per 1.5 days. about a week ago she started puffing up all her feathers like a giant blowfish and guarding the entrance to the coop from the other chickens. In the last 3 days she started staying permanently in the nest box. I push her out and she will go eat, but when I leave she is back in the next box within 15 min. She hasn't laid an egg in 3 days. Has she stopped laying and is being broody, or is her egg stuck and she is having trouble laying. What should I do about it

young buff orph. she has been laying eggs for about 2 months usually 1 per 1.5 days. about a week ago she started puffing up all her feathers like a giant blowfish and guarding the entrance to the coop from the other chickens. In the last 3 days she started staying permanently in the nest box. I push her out and she will go eat, but when I leave she is back in the next box within 15 min. She hasn't laid an egg in 3 days. Has she stopped laying and is being broody, or is her egg stuck and she is having trouble laying. What should I do about it
She sounds broody.
What does she do when you stick your hand under her to check for eggs?
If she is acting anything like this, she's broody.

She sounds broody.
What does she do when you stick your hand under her to check for eggs?
If she is acting anything like this, she's broody.
pretty much. she isnt quit that noisy, but she is def doing the feather fluffing like that. she fluffs her feathers like that even when I walk near her now, and she was the friendliest hen that I had previously. I guess I will try some of the broody breaking ideas. just want to get an opinion on if there was a medical issue I should be worried about. thanks

If you don’t want a broody, I think an Orpington will be a constant headache for you! I have a few that only take off 3 weeks between broods, and that’s with successfully hatching and raising chicks for a month.

Hopefully your Orpington will not be as stubborn as mine are.

If you don’t want a broody, I think an Orpington will be a constant headache for you! I have a few that only take off 3 weeks between broods, and that’s with successfully hatching and raising chicks for a month.

Hopefully your Orpington will not be as stubborn as mine are.
:( we just have them for the eggs. I cant have any roosters. so they wont ever be able to hatch anything. I have 8 chickens, only 2 are buff, the others are easter egg, Delaware, barred rock. Hopefully the others aren't as bad.

If I were in that situation I would try to rehome the Orpingtons and replace them with some hens that aren’t known to go broody. It would save you a lot of management in the future.

Of course every hen is different. I’ve even had a broody Leghorn so some are just built to mother.

Back
Top Bottom