Is My Chicken Depressed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CJkid, Oct 21, 2013.

1. CJkid

CJkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Montana
    Today i went out to gather the eggs and found one of my hens laying under the ramp that goes up into the chicken coop. I nudged her and she didn't move... i pushed a little harder... nothing... now i'm freaking out, thinking she might be dead. So i started to pull her out and she finally moved and pulled herself back under the ramp. I got her out and when i held her she immediately closed her eyes and lay limp in my arms.

Now a little back story... about a week ago we got rid of our rooster because he had been pulling feathers out of some of the other hens. I'm wondering if this hen is a little depressed over him being gone? She has always been a little slower and easy going in general, but now she is acting really sad.

Could she be depressed or maybe sick and how can i tell which it is and what to do about it? Right now we have her in our hospital (corner in the bathroom w/ food and water) so that the other hens won't pick on her in her sullen state. What should i do?

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Check for any of these symptoms:

Discoloured comb
    Swollen behind
    Diarrhea
    Hard crop
    Soft squishy crop
    Breathing difficulty
    Any other swollen or injured body parts

It's possible that she could be 'depressed', but it's unlikely. She's probably sick because chickens don't usually get attached to each other like that.

3. CJkid

CJkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Montana
    Her color looks good, i haven't checked her crop or butt, her breathing seems normal.
    But when she stands she kind of wobbles, she doesn't seem real steady, and her poop is def runny, it seems like it's just water.
    It seems like all she wants to do is sleep? I really worried about her. I hope she makes it through the night. [​IMG]
    Any idea what she might have?

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Gosh I'm not sure. Has she been drinking but not eating? That would explain the runny poo. Check her all over and see if you can find anything.

Note: CAN she move, or is it that she WON'T move?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by