Is my chicken dying?

ChickenKiera

Songster
Oct 17, 2019
Today my sister saw my little old English game bantam hen and she was sitting on the floor. She wasn’t moving, her eyes were closed, her head was tilted to the side a bit but she is still breathing a little bit. She also looks a bit purple and she still isn’t opening her eyes. There are two other hens in there with her and they were alright but she was fine yesterday. I don’t want this to sound rude but she already looks dead and you can only tell that she is breathing if you look closely at her chest moving a bit. I don’t know what to do and I don't think that she is going to last long. What should we do? 😢😢
Update: she’s gone. I gave her some water and sat her up a bit and then she started to flap about. A few minutes after that she stopped breathing 😢. I’ll miss her.

Attachments

• CBF1B300-16F1-4A28-B520-457326AE5B58.jpeg
    CBF1B300-16F1-4A28-B520-457326AE5B58.jpeg
    802.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
How old is she? It is always best to separate a sick bird. Place her in a quiet place in a dog crate or basket so that you can watch her. Is she keeping her neck crooked? Could the other chickens have injured her? If you can try holding a cup or lid up to her beak with some water sweetened with a little sugar (1/2 teaspoonful per cup) or electrolytes, that might help her. Gatorade also is okay.

How old is she? It is always best to separate a sick bird. Place her in a quiet place in a dog crate or basket so that you can watch her. Is she keeping her neck crooked? Could the other chickens have injured her? If you can try holding a cup or lid up to her beak with some water sweetened with a little sugar (1/2 teaspoonful per cup) or electrolytes, that might help her. Gatorade also is okay.
Yes she keeps moving he neck to the side and she doesn’t have any blood on her so the other chickens might not of injured her, I gave her a bit of water and she moved her head but I don’t know if that is a good or bad thing, do you think she could be egg bound?

Back
Top Bottom