is my chicken getting ready to lay her 1st egg????

pinkpeach

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
I have a mini barred rock who should be around 4 months (from what I was told) she is inside with one of our injured frizzle (doing fine). They are best buds. I have noticed ZhaZha (barred rock) doing quite a bit of scratching the bottom of their enclosure, laying down, wiggling a bit, chirping then she'll sit still for a few minutes, get up and do it all over again. Blondie (frizzle) gives off her protective clucking once Zha Zha lays down. Is this normal???

does that mean she will lay soon like today or tomorrow or does it mean just practicing and not lay for maybe a week

I'm curious about that as well. They are in a LARGE kennel right now and we have newspaper down so it is easy to clean. If I need to put a little bed or box for her i can do that. I do not want to put her back in the hen house yet because our two Leghorns pick on her if she is without Goldie (frizzle).

My Dominique "Sally" was acting a bit off yesterday and it really worried me. She didn't go insane over grapes, so I knew she wasn't feeling well. I held her and petted her as long as she wanted. I felt her tummy and everything felt normal. No parasites, no injuries. She's had the bright red face for about a month. This morning I took another favorite of hers out there (raw corn on the cob) and she seemed fine. I stepped into the coop to fill the feeder and she was "nesting" in the corner. On the opposite end of their open air coop, laid a small beige/pink egg, perfect in every way! Keep in mind it could be a month before you see the egg if you see it at all. The days are growing shorter and egg production will decline.
love.gif

I will try and post a picture of her. She has a very small comb and a waddle about half to three quarter inch.

Back
Top Bottom