MrShax

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
United Kingdom
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All,

This morning i went to let my hens out, as usual all of them jump out but one was missing so i went and checked in the coop and it was still roosting, so i had to bring it out my self, even though i tried to let it out its self first.

so my question is once it came out it went in to a corner, Started Shivering, Started Making A Gurgling Noise, Its Losing Its Feathers on its tail, and always puffed up, head down, tail down with eyes closed?

What do i do? Someone help Please.

Thanks

How old is your chicken ? I ask this because if she is not very young she may be going into a moult...

Are you sure she is not broody ? Check to see if she has lost most of her feathers on her underside...chickens will sometimes make growling noises and look puffed up when broody, they can also look as if they are in a sleepy state..

She may also be egg bound...feel her below the vent area...determine if she may have a hard feel...could be an egg she is trying to pass...if so, a warm soak in water for 15 minutes may help her to relax and pass an egg...

Keep updating with any progress...changes in her behaviour...

No she is not broody, i know my hens well i have checked all the signs you are mentioning, she is not making the gruling sound of a broody hen, its a gruling souns like she has flame stuck in her throat or she wants to puke up, she has one eye thats a bit swallen too,

i know this is something else nothing to do with broodiness, egg bound, or anything like that, she is not well and she doesnt look well too hence why i am concerned

thnaks. (suzie)

She may have gapeworm...have you recently de-wormed your flock ?

Have you checked for any lice/mites problems ?

Sounds as if she may have an infection as her eye is swollen...if you can afford it I would suggest a visit to a Vet...that is if you can find one in your area that treats avians...

So hard to know what her problem may be..I would isolate her for now from the flock and keep her somewhere warm...observe her behaviour and ensure she is eating and drinking...her poop may give an indication as to her general health...

Chances are that a Vet will put her on an antibiotic such as oxytetracycline...

Yeah i treated them with Flubenvet Powder which my vet prescribed me with, so i dont think it is worms or gape worm, but not sure it could always be that too.

i will have to isolate her from the flock and get in touch with my vet i suppose, i just dont want any of my others hens to get ill, as it may be contagious.

Thank You (suzie)

I hope your Vet can sort out what is wrong with her...if he prescribes an antibiotic it is likely he will advise treating all of the flock if it is infectious...oxytetracycline can be added to their drinking water.

Good luck and let us know what the Vet says!

Hi! I think your girl has some sort of resperatory disease and will need a course of antibiotics tylan soluble or tylan injectable should cure her of her symptoms.She most likely has mycoplazma,infectious corzoya or infectious bronchitis. All thease diseases can be treated but your bird will most likley become a carrier of this disease. I caint remember the dosage for tylan injectable which is what I whould use first but I'm sure someone her does, you can get tylan at a tractor supply or feed store. Have you recently added new birds to your flock?

Many people can bring these respiratory diseases into the their flock with a single bird that is a carrier. It caan take only a few days to a couple of weeks after exposure to a disease to show symptoms, depending on the disease. It can also be brought in on shoes, clothing, or by wild birds. Here is a good read about the common respiratory diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom