Is my chicken playing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4boyz, Dec 24, 2011.

1. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Andi, our dog spends her day either trying to herd or play with our 4 chickens. Up until this point they have completely ignored her other than giving her an occasional peck on the nose. Finally, our black sex link is paying her some attention. I uploaded a video of them together on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/embed/aHpZ-fTiXu4?rel=0.

What
    do you think? Is the chicken playing or just getting annoyed? I don't know if I should continue to allow this behavior from our dog. But, it is funny to watch!

Let me clarify. When we let our dog out of the house in the back yard she will do this. The majority of the time she is in the house while the chickens are either scratching in the yard or they are in their run where our dog cannot bother them.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It depends on how the chicken is responding. You said that your dog "spends her day" herding or playing with the chickens. That's an awful lot of dog attention for chickens who need time to scratch, dust bath, nap, just be chickens, without being harrassed, no matter how friendly it may be. It could just be that this hen has had it up to there with it all. Personally I'd not allow my dog to be after the chickens so much.

3. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Thats a very annoyed chicken. IMO

4. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

She is one very P.O. hen.... She might stop laying for you, with her all worked up about the dog.

Maye

5. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Thank You! I will stop this behavior immediately! We definitely don't want her annoyed or hurt. I just couldn't figure out what she was doing!

6. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sent you a pm.

Maye

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Yea, she's ticked off. Is she your head hen?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2011
  8. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    She's not happy ! I'll tell you that .

9. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Wow! I had no idea. I'm new to having chickens. I am so glad I asked. We have been watching our dog very closely with the chickens ever since we got them and has showed no signs of aggression towards them. She has never hurt them and up until this point they have completely ignored her when she tries to herd or play with them. She is an easy dog to correct. I will definitely be working with her to stop bothering them. Thanks for your understanding and responses!

10. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    My dog does the same thing my chickens either fly away or just ignore her. When they were little my dog ignored the chickens and they were all over her trying to get her up and playing so I think its fair

My ducks play follow the leader with my dog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by