1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my chicken preening me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittykittykitty, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Every time I go see them, the run up to me and pull at my clothes. They also like to chew my hair. They gather a few inches then move to the tips. Is it a sign of affection??? Aggression??? Or something else??????

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Anybody????????????????????????????????????

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They want your attention! They are hoping for goodies, maybe a lap to sit on, etc...Remember, all they have are their beaks. So they touch, feel and demand attention with them. [​IMG]

4. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Quote:Really? I always thought that it was something like preening. I stand corrected.

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    They're hungry. Trying to eat anything that moves.

6. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    The behavior you describe with your hair sounds like preening behavior, like they would do with their own feathers. I used to have a parakeet that would do that. He would even preen my stepdaughter's eyelashes. I would think other birds (chickens) would do preening behaviors on their favorite human, too. [​IMG]

7. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    If I sit on the ground, mine will come up and stand on my legs and pull at all the clothes. I thought they were just testing out the fabric to see if it clothes:) I like the thought that they are loving on me instead:)

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I believe it is preening at times, especially when they are sitting on my lap. I notice that they pull bits of weeds/hay out of my hair or off of my clothes if I have been doing yard work, etc. They will casually reach out to pick at a piece or two and then settle in to rest. They are grooming me, just like they groom each other when they are relaxed. Since they have food and water available at all times and free range during the day, they aren't looking for food when they jump up on my lap, they are looking for companionship. This behavior is different from when they are pecking for food or demanding attention. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by