IS MY CHICKEN TRYING TO MATE??

SilverStar

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
california
We have a 4 month old Buff O. We are still trying to figure out if our Buff O is a hen or a Roo. just today, i notice our Buff O biting the neck and grabing hold of one of my other hens and trying to get behind her as if maybe to mate. All day he has been doing this to the same hen. We have 13 other hens out in the coop but he seems to be after just her. Is he fighting with her? Or is he trying to mate.She is not laying eggs yet. if this is mating behavior, then i think the mystery is solved about our Buff O's gender in question. He is still not crowing or getting any signs of spurs. Anyone have any idea?

Here are a few pictures of my Buff O

30331_fam_pictures_482.jpg

30331_fam_pictures_479.jpg

30331_fam_pictures_481.jpg

At four months, if there is no crowing, I would be very surprised if you had a rooster there. Probably has more testosterone than other girls and wants to be the dominant hen.

do you have a roo in the bunch besides the suposed one and if you dont then i agree with the person above me sometimes there is a hen well most of the times there will be a dominant one and it will take all duties of a rooster it looks like mating but its just showing em who the bigger girl is and sometimes the hen will even crow and that def looks like a female

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom