Is my coop big enough?

MandM Kids

Hatching
Mar 26, 2015
We live in the city and I built a 3' x 3' (9 sq ft.) coop and planned on getting 4 hens. We have found a lady who wants to sell 5 Buff Orpington pullits and wants to sell all 5. They will have access to about a 40 sq. foot secured run at all times (except in extreme cold). Is my coop just too small for 5? We do plan on letting them range in the back yard when we are at home. I thought about making a "loft" at the taller end of the coop. Would that help?

Also the coop is on stilts 2 and 1/2 feet off of the ground, so they can be out of the elements under the coop when they want.

We live in the city and I built a 3' x 3' (9 sq ft.) coop and planned on getting 4 hens.  We have found a lady who wants to sell 5 Buff Orpington pullits and wants to sell all 5.  They will have access to about a 40 sq. foot secured run at all times (except in extreme cold).  Is my coop just too small for 5?  We do plan on letting them range in the back yard when we are at home.  I thought about making a "loft" at the taller end of the coop.  Would that help?

I think you will have enough space. Also in the winter you can buy clear plastic by the yard at Walmart or fabric stores for very cheap. Staple gun that on the top and a couple sides that get most wind and snow drift and they will be able to utilize the run and get light all the time.

Back
Top Bottom