Is my duck a loner?

DuckMomma6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
My Daisy Duck has been laying off by herself today... She did this once before and it resolved after a day. But during "nap" time or when they are settled down and resting for a bit, she will come by our sliding door and rest or sleep alone while the others sleep in the yard or somewhere else... Then when everybody gets up to swim or forage around the yard, she joins them. Everything else seems fine with her. It is just weird because I thoughts ducks liked to stay close especially when sleeping...? Does anybody have any experience with this or thoughts on why she is doing this?

She may feel safer by the door. Sieben sits off by herself some of the time. That's why I named her Sieben (German for seven, a unique number).

Do take time and watch her, though. A duck may be feeling unwell and give only the slightest, or no, hints till it's serious.

And she may just be a special little number.

She may feel safer by the door.  Sieben sits off by herself some of the time.  That's why I named her Sieben (German for seven, a unique number).

Do take time and watch her, though.  A duck may be feeling unwell and give only the slightest, or no, hints till it's serious.

And she may just be a special little number.

I think she is a special little number :) I have always thought she was unique! She can be the most excited running around, jumping and flying; and then, she can be the calmest duck too. She is so cute - she will yell at me if I check on them and she is expecting something more - like a treat or to be let out. When they first moved to our side yard, she would always let me know when I left them alone too long - coming to the door and making a fuss. She also seems to study me the most-keeping a safe distance but watching me. The door is their safe place - when they get spooked, they run to the door. It makes me feel better that you have experience with this and said some of the things I had been thinking :)

My oldest drake Jmatt is a loner.
Or he thinks he's a Canada goose, one of the two. LOL

Every now and then he'll hang with the flock but for the most part he prefers to be alone or with the Canada Geese that pass through.
It's just how he is.

My oldest drake Jmatt is a loner.  
Or he thinks he's a Canada goose, one of the two.  LOL

Every now and then he'll hang with the flock but for the most part he prefers to be alone or with the Canada Geese that pass through.
It's just how he is. 

That is so funny!!!
1f603.png

I have one that appears to be turning into a loner as well, although if she settles down to a nap apart from the others there is another that will often get up and go join her. I just figured it was a 'clique' thing, lol

I've never had a loner duck in the past. They'd all move together and stay within a few feet of eachother at all times. My latest ducks, though? I have one female who doesn't stick with the others. Sometimes, yes. But she could be in a completely different part of the yard and not seem to mind. She's healthy and laying so I just figure she's different.

We have a flock of 8, plus Christy, a male who hatched out in January, so spent the rest of the winter in our clawfoot tub. Consequently Christy has little to do with her flock of relatives and has bonded with our more recent hatchling, a pretty Plymouth Rock hen we've named Helen.

However, since we've let them spend days on the pond, one or more of the drakes have begun chasing one other male back to their enclosure. Let's call him Tom. For the past week, he now just has a dip in the morning in the pond and returns on his own to the enclosure where Tom spends the entire day looking out of sorts. The other males begin to attack him as soon as they return from the pond for the night and have ruined most of his wing feathers. Today we decided to put him back in the pond after all other have been put in for the night. I worry about our local fox, but hopefully he know enough to stay in the water if the fox visits. He is not alone as a family of wood ducks have moved in with 6 ducklings, but once he finishes his swim and preening, he just stand their looking out of sorts and alone. It's heartbreaking. Any suggestions much appreciated.

My favorite duck Beautiful is also a loner in a way. She interacts with the main group but I do catch her off on her own a lot. Weirdly... in the main flock there's a young KC hen that will lay flat for Beautiful (and Beautiful IS a hen, lays eggs, has made many babies over time, etc) and Beautiful will hop on top and sort of pretend to do the male honors for her. My KC seems to get the most upset when Beautiful wants to be alone and call quacks a lot for her.

So.. I guess what I am saying is, ducks are individuals and have their own ways of living life and doing things. I don't know that it means much more otherwise.

We have a flock of 8, plus Christy, a male who hatched out in January, so spent the rest of the winter in our clawfoot tub. Consequently Christy has little to do with her flock of relatives and has bonded with our more recent hatchling, a pretty Plymouth Rock hen we've named Helen.

However, since we've let them spend days on the pond, one or more of the drakes have begun chasing one other male back to their enclosure. Let's call him Tom. For the past week, he now just has a dip in the morning in the pond and returns on his own to the enclosure where Tom spends the entire day looking out of sorts. The other males begin to attack him as soon as they return from the pond for the night and have ruined most of his wing feathers. Today we decided to put him back in the pond after all other have been put in for the night. I worry about our local fox, but hopefully he know enough to stay in the water if the fox visits. He is not alone as a family of wood ducks have moved in with 6 ducklings, but once he finishes his swim and preening, he just stand their looking out of sorts and alone. It's heartbreaking. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Find him a safe place to live. He is at great risk at night.

Back
Top Bottom