Is my duck egg fertile? Please Help!

HaileyGraham

Hatching
Mar 13, 2017
I have Khaki Campbell ducks and I have gathered some eggs from them to incubate. My friend also gave me some of her Pekin duck eggs to incubate as well. I have had the eggs in the incubator for a while now, it has been about 6 or 7 days and I don't see any veins, only a dark yellow cloudy spot. I have seen some growth in the air sac of the egg but that is all. I candle them about every 3 days to see if they are growing or not. I have a boy duck so most of them should be fertile. Please help!
sad.png

My duck eggs have looked like this for about 2 or 3 days now.
idunno.gif

Doesn't look like it and if it's been 6 or 7 days with no veining, I'd wager that they are not. One disclaimer is that candled egg photos don't tend to show up with the resolution that you see them live, but that looks like a plain Jane egg with nothing going on to me. It's natural that the air sac would grow as the liquid-y parts of the egg evaporate through the shell. I've not hatched ducks, but can't imagine the development is that far removed from chickens (which has pretty dramatic embryo growth at day 6)..

What I would do is collect fresh eggs from the same birds tomorrow and crack a couple of them into a skillet and compare the yolks..

Last edited:
Thank you so much it helped a lot! I will collect some eggs and compare them but, I only have one girl so it may be a few days to compare. Is that okay?

I have never hatched any type of bird eggs so, sorry if I am asking too many questions...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom