Is my goat going to kid soon? And if so, how soon is 'soon?'

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wy kid wrangler, Jan 17, 2013.

1. wy kid wrangler

wy kid wrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    I have one 6mo. old Nubian cross breed goat. Her name is Gabby, and we bought her in September or October. She was pregnant when we bought her. I do not have a breeding date, as the previous owners kept her with the buck for the full month of August. This morning, she refused her breakfast. She wouldn't even take any candy or Combos (her favorite treat.) She also refused grain and sweet mix. At about 12:00 noon, she had about a half a teaspoon of yellowish, creamy looking slime coming out of her vulva. I tested the ligaments, and I can almost fit my fingers all the way around the spine just above the tail. Just before dinner, the slime had increased to about a half of a tablespoon. She is starting to bag up around the teats, which have enlarged. Her vulva had become very red and puffy about a month ago, but about a week ago, it started to look much more relaxed. She has been drinking between 1/2 and 1 gallon of water a day. If you need any more information, please let me know, because I really need to get this figured out. Thank you so much!

2. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    the same question i always ask: is she talking in a different voice? like a low rumbly voice? is she pawing and pacing and 'uncomfortable:? do u hear her rumen working (in other words, if u dont, she may have 'colic' or whatever it is called in english for rumen problems)... if she is doing the first two things, she is in pre labour most likely...

dont give her sweets. ever. try giving her nice leaves of trees u know are non poisonous to goats. goats love leaves and forage, dry or green... grape leaves, mallow leaves... sorry dont know where u live or what grows there, but here thats what they like when they are ill or in labour. also, cheerios or plain pretzels with salt (a small handful) , or a dried date or three might entice her to eat.. nothing too sweet, that causes rumen problems , also, pre eclampsia (pre birth milk fever).... but sounds liek she should already have a kid out today, by your description...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by