Pics

two j farm

Crowing
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
I'm new to goats and when I got this goat 2 days ago I was told she is pregnant. They said she was due any day. Every time I look at her I think she's not pregnant because I would think she would be bigger then she is. Can any one here help me out on this. She is a 3 year old Nubian. And this would be her second time to kid if she is pregnant.

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_105153205.jpg
    IMG_20210612_105153205.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20210612_105216312.jpg
    IMG_20210612_105216312.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 46
Certainly do ask for a refund (at least partial) if she does not have kids, or return her, but I would wait a bit longer first. It's only been two days, and she was supposed to be due "any day." It would be frustrating to return her and then have her deliver babies right after that!
Thanks, I asked the same question on a goat site and at first everyone said pregnant and then I had a few that said no. I guess it's just a wait and see thing now. I know I have only had her for 2 days but I can't see me taking her back now lol. I have really come to like her alot in 2 days.

Quick update. I'm pretty sure she is in heat. I will be putting her with a buck tomorrow to be sure, but the little buckling that is in with her is trying to breed her and she is just standing there with her tail up and flagging.

I will be making a call to the lady I got her from if she is in heat.

Thanks. What could the clear discharge be if she's not pregnant?
A clear discharge is just a clear discharge. It may or may not mean anything or nothing at all. A goat can have a clear discharge for any number of reasons, but a sign of pregnancy it is not. A goat will usually have a clear discharge when she is in heat. At that time she will also be flagging her tail, restless, and more vocal than usual. Goats often have a thick cloudy discharge for a few days after they are bred. They will have a clear discharge when they first go into labor, but that is like a string and it gets more copious as labor progresses.

Certainly do ask for a refund (at least partial) if she does not have kids, or return her, but I would wait a bit longer first. It's only been two days, and she was supposed to be due "any day." It would be frustrating to return her and then have her deliver babies right after that!
She is a pretty doe. I am curious though about why the owners insisted she was pregnant and that she was due any day. If she is showing any signs of pregnancy, any signs at all, they sure are not apparent from the pictures. Sorry.

That said, I did once have a doe, a Nubian, that exhibited no signs of pregnancy, none, but nevertheless delivered a single buck kid. She was a very old doe. In this case her udder did not fill at all before she kidded. It didn't fill afterwards either but as I said, she was a very old doe.

Ok I put the buck in yesterday afternoon. She's wants nothing to do with him and he's not in to her. So maybe she's not in heat 🙅🤷
That is a pretty good sign she isn't. Keep putting her in with the buck for a few minutes every day or so. Can't hurt. Also, sometimes repeated exposure to a buck will cause a doe to cycle. This process does not happen over night just so you know.

I really didn't see much of a discharge from my pregnant goats except when they were going into labor. That discharge is more like what you would see if she was in heat or had an infection. That said, goats do not read the books. You goat has zero signs of being pregnant, but I have been fooled before. More than once, as a matter of fact. If she is indeed pregnant and is going into labor, you will know soon enough. One sign of impending labor to look for is a loosening of the tail bone. Sometimes it gets so loose you can get your fingers under it. If the discharge you are seeing is because she is starting labor, it will increase as the day goes on. A mucus string is one of the first signs. Goats in labor get restless. They will get up and lie down and paw the ground. They often go off by themselves, too. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom