Is my grand duck dying?

DuckGamy

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2019
Hello all. I hate to have met under these terms. My teen had to have a duck for her burthday back in April after I said No for 2 years. Fastforward, we have 2 ducks. Mom (drake mallard) and Pip (female). Pip laid a batch of 10 eggs last month. Never sat on them. Hasnt laid since then. She has been lethargic the past 2 days. Wont eat or barely drink. I came on here and read threads for hours. Went and bought electrolytes and started the epsom salt flush. She isnt reaponding. I tried sugar water as well. Her poops were white and turned green today. I gave her a bath with dawn brought her in the house. Turned an old big toy box into her quarantined living space. Fresh bedding and a heat lamp. She has been very calm and wont run or move much without help. I went to check on her and she has blood coming from her nostrils??? Are we going to lose her and what would we do with our other duckie??? They love eachother... We are all heartbroken and sad that she isn't well. I have called all the vets and hospitals. No one does birds. The closet place is an hour away but their vet is out for the week doing training.

Oh dear. It doesn’t sound good for her. So far what you have done sounds good. A month without laying could mean the issue has been there for quite some time. I would make her comfortable and let her drake say goodbye. Offer favorite treats. Warm baths could be good to repeat. If nothing else warm baths are relaxing and ducks do love them. I’ve said a prayer for her. I wish I could do more.

Oh dear. It doesn’t sound good for her. So far what you have done sounds good. A month without laying could mean the issue has been there for quite s
Oh dear. It doesn’t sound good for her. So far what you have done sounds good. A month without laying could mean the issue has been there for quite some time. I would make her comfortable and let her drake say goodbye. Offer favorite treats. Warm baths could be good to repeat. If nothing else warm baths are relaxing and ducks do love them. I’ve said a prayer for her. I wish I could do more.

ome time. I would make her comfortable and let her drake say goodbye. Offer favorite treats. Warm baths could be good to repeat. If nothing else warm baths are relaxing and ducks do love them. I’ve said a prayer for her. I wish I could do more.
she will take a drink but throws her head back like it hurts to swallow. Her tongue and mouth are white. Idk if thats normal or not. Thank you for the prayers, Tasha!
If she is drinking get her some electrolytes too.

Thanks Tasha. She will get a drink but throws her head back like it is hard for her to swallow. She tried to eat a pea but spit it out. Should I bring the drake in or let her go out into their home?? He has been quaking all day..

I deep cleaned their coop earlier today. I put a big blue tub on it's side. Layed bedding down inside for them to "snuffle"!!! We prayed with our 4 and 5 year old and we all prayed with the ducks. Everyone is tucked in and it is up to God for the outcome. We have faith but also know things happen thats out of our control. As sad as we are we have done all we know to do.. Thank you for your suggestions and support!

Our Pip in her indoor bed with heat lamp on. Just so you could see how beautiful she is even when she is sick.

Attachments

• 20190928_202438.jpg
    20190928_202438.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom