Is my head a roost??

greenacreshens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 10, 2007
Georgia
I have four 9 week old RIR babies. They are growing fast and have feathered up really nice. Problem is, I still am not sure if they are pullets or Roos as they all look different.........and I haven't heard sign of a pityful crow yet.
The most recent problematic behavior is that one of them always wants to land on my head when I am sitting down with them. It doesn't seem mean, as I take it down and pet it and it keeps coming back, never biting or scratching me. Could this be early aggressive behavior or a Roo behavior? It is very annoying after a few times!!

Don't know. But watch out for the poop!
gig.gif

I've got one about that same age that comes to roost on my shoulder when I'm at the computer...she tries to get on my head but her nails hurt! If I sit long enough, she dozes off. I view it as the chicken equivalent of wanting to be a lapdog.

Gracie went through that stage...now I see when she is calculating her flight pattern...the little computer working behind those green eyes:) It gives me that second before the wings are on me. It's the highest spot....my roo never went for the more extreme heights...he's afraid of them from what I can tell....It's the one sure way gracie can get away from him....
wink.png

I have a 9 week old hen and roo who like to roost on my head and shoulders. The hen usually flies up from my front and the rooster tries to fly up from my back.

If you raise them by hand, then you automatically become the Big Human Roost. Even if I'm standing, they'll fly up my front and sit on my shoulders.
smile.png

EDIT - Mine are also about eight weeks of age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom