Is my heat source OK?

backintime

Songster
13 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
I just set up my brooding "facility" in an unused bathroom. Lined the tub with plastic (taped all edges), newspaper, and old towels for first few days. Hung a 100W incandescent bulb with shop reflector about 18" above and temp went to 100. Had to move it up to about 2.5 feet to get temp around 95. This means the whole brooder is about the same temp & light. Would it be better to have a lower watt bulb hanging lower, so the heat & light was "closer" to the chicks? Would this allow them to get OUT of the heat & light when they want? Right now the brooder is draft free & right temp, but constant temp. throughout. Thanks for help, chicks coming day after tomorrow!

I'm by no means an expert, I can't even say I know very much as I'm rather new to this but...I would lower your wattage so the bulb is closer and you have a warm area and a cooler area for the chicks to go to if some get warm. That is how my brooder is set up, bulb on one side cool on the other. Hope this helps.
smile.png

Thanks, I had a feeling this was not good! I love baked chicken but not my BABIES! Lucky I didn't invest $5 in an infrared heat lamp! How soon will they be able to get out of the bathtub? (Modular kind) Should I just put up a higher barrier? How long will the bathtub be big enough for 8 layers?

Yes, you are supposed to have a warm end and a cool end to the brooder. You will notice quickly that the chicks don't stay in any one place for long. They get warm and then bounce all over the place!

Also, if you have just a regular old shop clamp lamp like the ones from the hardware store beware. Many warnings have been posted on here that those are not meant to be left on 24 hours a day and have actually had the plastic socket at the top melt. Feed stores and even some of the pet stores 9reptile section) carry a clamp lamp with a ceramic socket and for safety that is what should be used.

Good Luck and post pictures when the chicks arrive!
jumpy.gif

two lights! just in case one bulb burns out when you are away. I had that happen this week.. Sure they'll huddle together to keep warm, and being inside will help. Mine are in the garage; if I only had one light they'd have been popsickles by the time I got home.

My local feed store guy gave me a 250 watt bulb I thought I was going to cook them before any meat developed. So I went to the local hardware store and found an 85 watt red flood light. It has been working great.Mine are also in my bathtub can't wait till it gets warmer.

A hot and some cold spots are better for chics who need to cool down.

Good luck and trust yourself,
Ed

The crummy clamp-on shop light DOES have a ceramic socket so hopefully will be ok. I moved my tension-mounted shower curtain rod to the center, found some S hooks, and suspended the shop light by a dog chain, so it is easy to raise & lower. Will get a lower watt bulb and hang it to one side instead of the middle, to get more temperature variation. Called in my chick order at the local feed store and was told it might be 2-3 weeks, nobody else wants chicks with all this SNOW (I'm in northern Wisconsin) and he has to wait until he has an order of 100. WAAAAAAAHHHH! Back to my earlier question, how long until the 8 chicks outgrow the bathtub?

Hmmm....I am not sure on your time frame question. I have 5 standard chicks in a 3x3 brooder. They are 3 weeks old now and I'm sure they will be okay in there for another week or so until we get the coop finished up. I would say you could safely plan on 8 being comfy in the tub for at least 3 weeks, maybe even 4-5. Of course after a week or two you will probably have to add some sort of top. These little guys learn quick how to flap far enough to cause trouble!

Hopefully someone who has raised them in a tub can answer this question a little better.

By the way, if you don't want to wait you know you could just order your 8 from a hatchery that does small orders right? Are you not doing that because of the cold weather up your way?

Fluffy, I wanted to order the chicks from the Murray McMurray Hatchery, as they allow small mixed orders of less than 25, but when I clicked on their link for "chicks available this week" there was hardly anything available! Any other ideas?

I used Ideal and was very happy with them. They do small orders too and are happy to mix them. In fact not a single one of my 5 are the same.
smile.png

Also, maybe check out the Buy, Sale, Trade board and see if anyone in your area has anything.

Back
Top Bottom