Is my Heather a cockerel?

Tiffo

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
10D3C2F0-8432-4BC6-B459-7A4C303AB965.jpeg
I got 3 baby chicks (sexed Isa brown from a big pet shop) around 5 weeks ago. Heather is the smallest without tail feathers and she developed it slower than the other two. Ever since then I started worried about whether she’s actually a he :(
Right now I guess they are probably 6 or 7 weeks old according to my research coz I don’t know how old they were when we got them.
a few days ago I found that Heather start to develop red wattles and the other two girls only has tiny bit of flesh colored wattles.
This is my first time raising chicks, I’m super worried coz it’s not legal for us to have roosters in our backyard and I don’t want to lose her!!!!! :hit:hit:hit
Heather is still looking comparatively smaller than the other ones and all other traits are similar now.
can someone tell me if it’s normal for Isa brown pullet to grow red wattles so early?and develop tail tail feather slower?
Heeeeelp
C39ACCA4-57C5-43FB-B0A2-B257A3C00D00.jpeg

True ISA browns are sex-linked, meaning you can tell from birth who will be a hen (yellow/tan chicks) and who will be a rooster (white). If they are all ISA browns, looks like you have all pullets from your first photo!

and starting wattles at this age is normal : ) Your pullet looks just like my 9 week Golden Comet!

Here is a link that shows the sex linked coloring for ISA Browns and other breeds
http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

can someone tell me if it’s normal for Isa brown pullet to grow red wattles so early?and develop tail tail feather slower?
Yes, it is normal for some ISA Brown pullets to grow wattles like that at that age, and for some to grow their tails slower than others.

Back
Top Bottom