Is my hen a roo? (barred rock)

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
we're new to chickens...and our most recent adoption was two 4 month old BR pullets. Since brigning them home about 2 weeks ago one is looking different than the other and our frizzle bantam roo keeps pulling on it's head like it's trying to rip it off (so the 2 will be face to face and our roo pulls on it's head but only when they are free ranging). this BR also sounds like our roo in it's low clucking, but we have not noticed crowing other than our silly frizzle. Our frizzle was here before the BR's incase that matters?

Opinions? THANKS!!

The one in question:
2itgb3s.jpg

Sister:
33to76v.jpg

Maybe our Batman is just jeoulous of her comb?? He needn't be....he's so handsome himself... (I love love love my frizzle boy)

2diozmx.jpg

(sorry to sneak his pic in)

I just got rid of 4 Barred Rock roosters the same age as yours, it was very clear that they where boys. They stood quite a bit more upright and their feathering was definitely all roo. I would say yours are both pullets.

They're both girls!
smile.png

When a rooster tries to mate a hen he'll often grab onto the back of her head with his beak. A young inexperienced rooster will often grab a hen by the back of her head, and try to maneuver her into position for mating. Usually this doesn't work, and the hen breaks away after struggling and pulling away for several seconds. This may be what you're seeing.

with barred rock the males are lighter then the hens.
The one on top is a cockerel the bottom is a pullet.
They are the same age so everything should be the same. You can see the differance in color comb and wattles. Also look at the saddle feathers starting to go over the tail. Her tail is molting out the chick feathers by the looks of it. Once they come out she will have a nice fan tail.
You said your rooster and the top one will have a face off were they are face to face hackles flaired and pull at each other head?
That is a sure sign of a rooster. hens dont flair their hackels (most of the time) or at least not like roosters do.

Back
Top Bottom