Is my Hen broodie?

Barred34

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2022
Hello. Recently our year old Polish hen has been acting a little weird. It hasn’t laid an egg in 2 weeks. It is always grumpy. And it is always in the nesting box, only coming out for food and water. All day it lays on her eggs and if you try to take her off she will growl, peck, and get right back on the golf balls we placed in there. Too me it sounds as though she is broodie. Is she?

Sounds like she’s broody. Since she’s already been sitting for 2 weeks you should break her or give her fertile eggs very soon. It’s not good for her to be broody for a long time.
Just gave her fertile ones today. Gave her three is that good? Thanks

3 should be good. I usually give more but I have a lot of space and we use the roosters for meat. Definitely stick with 3 eggs if you don’t want more than 3 roosters!

One of my hens hatched 3 roosters out of 3 eggs this spring, so it does happen sometimes.

3 should be good. I usually give more but I have a lot of space and we use the roosters for meat. Definitely stick with 3 eggs if you don’t want more than 3 roosters!

One of my hens hatched 3 roosters out of 3 eggs this spring, so it does happen sometimes.
Ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom