1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is my hen brooding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kambi, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Kambi

Kambi In the Brooder

Feb 19, 2007
    My one year old hen won't leave the box. She has no eggs to sit on because they roll back for collection. She is a Black Sex-Link and was the first of my hens to lay. She seems alert and not sick.

Will they exhibit broody behavior at a certain age? Certain time of year? Even without an egg to sit on or a rooster?

She made an unusual noise (growl?) when I raised the roof of the coop and checked on her. Will she stop doing this soon?

I am hoping that this is the problem and she isn't egg bound.

Thanks for any feedback

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing Premium Member

Yep, she's broody. The growl is a sure sign. They will sit on air if need be and they don't care if there isn't a roo.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Yup, I would say she is broody. Have fun!

4. M.J

M.J Songster

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    Yes she is deffinetly boody for i had a bantam cochin that for a month was brooding on dirt and wouldn't move so i had to break her out of it. if you want to break you hen out of it you can either move her to a diffrent pen so she cant get back to her nest or is she is a hard core brooder either put icecubes under her or in a cage with a wire bottom so air come up under her and breaks her out of brooding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: