Is my hen broody ?

aurimilky

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I think one of my hen my be broody. On the night time she is siting on the nest with 18 wooden eggs and 3 real eggs. In the day time she just leaves the nest to run and eat around the chicken run. So I can tell if she is broody or not.

The last broody hen I had set on the eggs in the day and night, why is this hen leave the eggs in the day time ?

Your hen must know what she's doing, as this is perfectly normal behavior, you see. She is broody, but maybe just not as protective as your average broody hen. :)

Your hen must know what she's doing, as this is perfectly normal behavior, you see. She is broody, but maybe just not as protective as your average broody hen. :)

Okay cool. I though her stopped being broody, as her is out in the run all day. Just got her some hatching chicken eggs.

Oh no I don't believe she is broody ALL broody hens sit day and night if she only sitting on eggs at night those eggs will never develop if they do at all they will die when she is off the nest for too long like all day. Is she puffing when you see her in her nest is broody clucking I'm sure you know what that sounds like?

Oh no I don't believe she is broody ALL broody hens sit day and night if she only sitting on eggs at night those eggs will never develop if they do at all they will die when she is off the nest for too long like all day.

I'll look for a egg incubator then.

Is she puffing when you see her in her nest is broody clucking I'm sure you know what that sounds like?

No I don't think that she is puffing and
clucking in the nest.

Ok sounds like she is just too lazy to roost at night lol

Very true. She in the nest box right now, just as the is on its way to setting. No I don't think if I give her some hatching eggs they probably wont hatch, so I'll use my egg incubator instead.

Back
Top Bottom