Is my hen broody?

Chickenfrenzy1107

In the Brooder
May 26, 2019
One of my chickens this morning I saw her on the nesting box and I thought she was just laying an egg so I left her there to do her busses. I came back about two hours later and she was still there I was a bit confused about it but didnt think much of it so I left her about another hour later I saw her dust bathing so I thought she was done but then 5 minutes later she was back on the box and and when I tried to get the eggs from her she pecked me

Is she going broody?

She might be, especially if she is hissing or pecking at you. Some breeds generally brood for a few days, and then give it up. However, if she is a "broody" breed, she might try to sit until the eggs hatch. Good luck!

I'm fine with a broody ive been waiting for a while but I'm not sure still but like I said she does peck you when you get near but thank you for the help!

could be or , could be just a fooled ya thing, chickens change their minds a lot lol. Getting of the nest for a bit depending on the temps 1-2 times a a day for food water, relieve themselves and a quick dust bath is normal.
Do you have an incubator just in case she does a fooled ya?

I'm fine with a broody ive been waiting for a while but I'm not sure still but like I said she does peck you when you get near but thank you for the help!
I have several that will do that for a couple of days and say fooey on that. check this evening, she should stay on the nest if she's gonna brood

when I tried to get the eggs from her she pecked me
But you didn't let that stop you, right?
Even my non-broody hens will do that, I persevere and go ahead and look anyway.
Most get used to it and don't really mind, tho they may halfheartedly peck and squawk a bit. Good to be able to check under broody if you're going to let her set.

These are my go to signs:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

Lots of good info here, it's long so just browse or post a new question:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-hen-thread.496101/

Back
Top Bottom