1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my hen going into molt ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gottalovemychickens, Nov 1, 2009.

1. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

I have 1 of my hens that is 8 months old and lost all her feathers on her chest. They are just really small feathers but i can see her bare skin. None of my other chickens that are the same age have feathers missing .

Could she be molting ?

Being picked on ?

Not getting something her body need ?

What could cause her feathers just to boom and vanish ???

Ill try and get a picture up

2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    8 months is too young for a molt. They will normally go into their first molt in their second year.

3. gottalovemychickens

so maybe going broody ??

or mites ??

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Good info on that link, but my comp. is slow pulling it up!

If it is just on her chest, in a roundish pattern, that sounds like she had a broody spell and pulled feathers out to keep the eggs warm. Check her over carefully for bugs and other missing feathers. Some of my younger ones are "mini-molting" but it is barely noticeable.

6. gottalovemychickens

yeah its a round pattern on her chest and would not leave the nest . When i know they lay ill go under the chicken and take the egg and they most the time come out right away but this one just sits there and does not come out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by