Is my hen scared of me? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickLover98, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My hen Thalia seems scared to death of me! She cowers down, shuffles her feet and shakes. She only does it when i go to pet her or pick her up. She only started this when she started to lay. I don't want her to be scared of me. Does she think I'm going to hurt her or her eggs????? I don't know... Please help!!!!

2. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    This sounds like typical squat behavior. She recognizes you as her leader and is being submissive so you can jump on her and ride her. Don't mean to be crude. [​IMG]
    I really love when my girls do it, cuz its the only opportunity I have sometimes to pet them and love them a bit.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    In other words...it's normal. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Because it's normal, just be real gentle and give her a skritch behind the head, or down the neck, or between her shoulder-blades. When you stop, she'll stand back up and shake herself all fluffy again. Back to business.

You big, Roo, you! [​IMG]

5. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Well I have a roo, and he's definately alpha. I do pet and pick Thalia up and then she stops squatting and shaking. Everytime i go to pick her up, though, she does it. Thanks for the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by