Is my hen sick?

Weldon farms

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
Milner, GA
I bought an OEGB hen a few months ago. She is laying and very nice, but two of her toes are broken and hers eyes are a little squinty when she isnt eating. I bought a trio (roo and two hen) of OEGB a few days ago. I didn't know what to do about the one hen. Is she sick? If so, what do I do and do I need to separate her from the rest of them?

Is she sick or just injured? Two broken toes would make anything feel ill. How did she get her toes broken?

You have to take integration a bit at a time, you can't just throw new birds together - they will usually hit badly. When/if the ailing hen is ready to meet the newbies you should have the coop and run divided off temporarily so the new and the old are on opposite sides and can see each other but, cannot hurt each other.

Will you take your hen to the vet to have her toes set? Or just let her tough it out.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might like to post in the Emergencies forum about your hen, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures describe any symptoms she has and pictures might help people figure out what is going on with her eyes and what to do with the toes. Did she break her toes recently?
You'll want to keep the birds separate until you know what is going on with your older one, in case she has something contagious.

She must be a pretty old hen. We only get an egg or so each week. I have had her since mid-August, and she seems to be doing fine. I went to get some chicks from someone and I saw the hen. They gave her to me, and said her toes had been like that since they bought her as a young hen (4-5 months old). The people moved and I don't have their number to see if her eyes were always like that. I have her in one of my old chick brooders that I have taken the bottom out so she has acces to fresh grass. I have had chickens for a while, and my parents and whole family has had them. We have never had the problem. What are some diseases/ sicknesses that would cause her to do this?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm sorry about your hen!
hugs.gif

I'm not sure what would cause all this. What does her stool look like? What does her comb and wattles look like? How long is the grass that she is eating? Long pieces of grass can result in crop issues.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen! I would post about her in the Emergencies section of these forums. Lots of helpful people are on there and should be able to help you out!

Her poop is uNdescribable ( it's poop). We have a 300 foot run for all of our chickens, but we keep the bantams in the smaller pens because the standard size chickens pick on them. The pen is 50 feet wide. The small tractors are 3x5 so we have them 5 in a row. We move them down 3 feet each week, and that cuts down the grass a lot. It never gets over about 2 1/2 -3 inches tall because we have 55+ chickens. They keep it moved down good, but when the grass gets about half way up a block of wood in the pen, we cut it down. We have 40 of the 300 feet blocked off for the bantam pens, and like I mentioned earlier, we rotate them every week. Their section is blacked off by poultry netting, and we move it down 40 more feet every 3 months amd block it off. They constantly get fresh grass and bugs.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your hen. I do not know what is wrong with her. But I hope she is going to be ok. :)

Back
Top Bottom