1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my hen too small for my rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by torilovessmiles, Oct 20, 2014.

1. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I have 6 red sexlink hens, and one production red rooster. All are around 8-9 months old, and 5 of my hens are a nice 5-6 pounds. The other one (blossom) is my little runt weighing in at just 3 pounds. My roo (Fonzie) weighs about 7 pounds, but is still growing. I'm really concerned about the little hen getting hurt when he mounts her. So far, he is quite the gentleman, and none of my girls have a feather out of place. The little one is his "favorite" though. He hasn't hurt her yet, but could repeated mating of a large rooster and a hen of her size cause injury to the hen? I would assume the size difference could harm her bones and joints over time, or am I just underestimating the hardiness of chickens?

Thanks in advance

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    given the size difference I would say yes, however if he is a gentleman it might not be so bad, if he launches and jumps then yes it will injure her.

1 person likes this.
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    We really need pictures to give you better help...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by