is my lg killing them? help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jj ranch, Mar 17, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    i hope this is not another bad hatch. i have at least 30 chicken eggs in my LG . i know temp rises sometimes with growth but that LG which is first time for using (have a hovabator too) gets up to 102 fast!!! and randomly!!! [​IMG] i am on day15. i candled and being dark eggs its hard but some look like they have room to grow still like maybe died from heat or im freaking out. [​IMG] [​IMG] should i worry? has anyone else had problems with LG? i love my hovabator. im up right now staring into bator in hopes not to have fried eggs [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Just an odd question....are you using a turner? If so, what model?

Is the turner hot to the touch?

3. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    no turner and its a still air little giant. it goes from 98 to 102.5 in a very short time. it is very sensitive.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The temp knob is extremely sensitive however once set mine does hold temp fairly well. If your having temp extremes I would wonder about the room temp? Little styrofoam bators don't keep a stable temp well if the room temp changes. With the nice weather lately I've been opening some of the house windows but I have to keep an extra close eye on both the hova and lg and not open the windows near them or even in the room with the lg. The room has to stay within a few degrees for these bators to stay on target.

102 is not too hot. It's actually the suggested for a still air. 103 is borderline and could kill them if it stays there for days. 104 is cause for concern. There was a cool chart around on the net of approximately how quickly a chick will die on average at various temperatures and what temps they will continue to develop in. Unfortunately I lost it and can't find it again. I have hatched some that the thermometer read 104 for several days through the hatch and others have hatched some that have gotten higher but for short periods of time. The air temp is not always an accurate representation of the temp inside the egg. That's why people use water wigglers to try to measure closer to the actual internal egg temp.

5. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    thanks so much. its just weird that i struggle with this model so bad. its been 2 hrs and ive had temp from 98 to 102 nuts!! i would like sleep hahahaha [​IMG]

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I may not sleep longer then 2 hours for the next 2 weeks lol But it really isnt my LG fault I had it perfect but life happend and now well ....[​IMG]:th

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I wouldn't freak out just yet. Especially with a still air, 102 is not going to kill them off. I ALWAYS have "room to grow" at day 15...though I suppose it depends on how MUCH room you are talking about. Good luck, I hope they are alright.

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh, and also, if you have been keeping it at/trying to keep it at 98 then the development will be delayed, causing more room in the eggs, too.

9. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Things that make my LG a great 'bator:
    -a home installed computer fan
    -a folded towel under the incubator
    -a blanket halfway around the incubator (not blocking vent holes)
    It may sound like alot, but when its only $40 for a still air and 5 dollars for a new computer fan and $1 for a adpter, it's a good deal.
    I have a turner as well, but I borrowed it.
    I think it's worth the effort and the temp has stayed at 99.5-100.5 the whole incubation. I live in Texas; and it was literally 25 degrees out at night, and 85 degrees a day later. No temp spikes or drops. (in the bator) [​IMG]
    I had 44 of 46 eggs make it to the hatcher on day 18. (all veining and viable)
    So far (though the hatch is not over) I have 29 chicks out and 5 pips. I consider this a very good hatch. Also it is only day 22. [​IMG]

I don't think your bator is a murderer. Just like anything else you have to figure out what works for that equipment.

Once I had (in an old, old incubator) a temp spike to 104 and then a drop to 94...5 chicks hatched..somehow. So hopefully you won't be chick-less.
    Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by