Yoda

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Shady Hills, FL
Hi Everyone,
My little pea is sick.
hit.gif
I noticed some sneezing, a runny nose and he would gasp for air a few times, so I treated him with amoxicillin 250 tabs in water and vitamins. I treated him with the amoxicillin 250 for 5 days, mostly by using an eyedropper down the throat. All seemed fine. I wormed the entire flock for 3 days the following week. Then a few days later I noticed him acting like he was gasping for air again. He would do this while he was eating so I dismissed it as he needed water to wash down the food he was eating. Now I come to the "clean the shed" day. I start by getting all the birds off the perches and onto the floor (don't need poop all over me LOL). Well the big white one jumped down and landed on top of the little one and a few days later he seems to be gasping almost constantly. He eats fine and drinks fine but he seems to be hunched up and I noticed today the sneezing and runnynose are back but not as bad as before. What do I give him? I have Tylan powder? Here are some pics. Can you also tell me what sex the two on the left are in the second picture (the one on the top right is male)? They are suppose to be a pair but I am thinking two females. The last picture shows the big white one right next to him so you can see the size difference.

100_1620.jpg

100_1646.jpg

100_1631.jpg

If he has a respiratory infection, might have not been caused by a bacteria, which is why the amoxicillin didn't work, or it was a resistant strain. I know birds can get aspergillosis, a fungal infection of the respiratory tract. If he has aspergillosis, antibiotics will be of no use. I wish I could be of more help, but my knowledge of avian medicine is limited mostly to parrots.

I do know that warmth and humidity would help him breathe easier. If you can crate him inside in a dog kennel with food and water, cover the kennel with a blanket, and run a humidifier under the blanket, it could help ease his respiratory distress. That way, you can also keep a close eye on him too.

I had a young male I thought had some sort of respiratory infection. After a month of treating with several antibiotics with no signs of him getting better I did some research. I later noticed while watching him closely and saw him gasping for air at times. Found some articles on gapeworm and wormed him with Ivomec Plus. Instantly he seemed better and the issue has gone away.

With worming I would recommend worming again in about 10 days to break the cycle.

Hope this helps.
Walter

Last edited:
Quote:
When worming, alternate wormers, not all wormers kill all types of worms. Ivomec (Ivermectin) is a pretty good wormer, kills many types and also kills chewing insects like lice. We use Ivermectin and Fenbendazole (Safeguard goat wormer). Wormers like wazine only kill limited types of internal parasites, I think only roundworms.

If it is respiratory, there will be signs around the nasal passages, discharge, crusty build up, or swelling. This is when I would use antibiotics, we use Tylan but many use Baytril.

Good Luck

Also look in it's mouth... make sure you don't see anything stuck in the throat. I did hear of a case of... I think it was a turkey? somehow got ahold of a feedbag string and ate it. But the string wrapped around the tongue and was pulling the tongue down into the throat.

I bought the little one inside the house. I am currently giving him the tylan powder. I asked a couple vets about baytril and they would not give me a prescrption for it
hu.gif

Like I said so far he is eating and drinking. He/she did have wet discharge from the nose again.

Some Vets will not sell you Baytrl if you tell them it is for birds, I always told them that we had a calf with Pneumonia and they would sell it to me. Now they know us and they just sell it to us now. If you can't get that buy Tylan 200 give them shots 1cc for 4 days the longer the bird has it the longer it will take to cure.

Good Luck.
Steve

Quote:
Great advice, my peas eat everything even when they have a varity of feed vegies,fruit,seeds and their own poop
sickbyc.gif

Gap worm would be my second guess.

I think that may be what is bothering me about those pics... as wide open as the mouth is, I think I would expect the tongue to be sticking up at least a little... I just don't see it. I tried to look at the middle picture closer, is that the tongue I see or the area under it?

Back
Top Bottom