Is my Pekin sick?

PlatinumVoyages

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Wyoming
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and also new to raising ducks! It was our 10 year olds idea to get pet ducks and we were all onboard with the idea. Today I found my 2 week old Pekin on her back in the tote that I have them in. I picked her up (along with the Cayuga that we got) and had them on my chest for a while. She was either shaking uncontrollably or her heart rate was very rapid. I couldn't tell. She has had diarrhea for the past 4-5 days but it's just now getting solid. I noticed her walking a little funny, almost like a limp. I did some research and added brewers yeast to their water. Is there anything else that I can/should be doing?

I have 4 kids and we are all very active with them... they get a bath every day in very warm water and we take them outside to get fresh air every day as well. Not to mention running around the house and mom being on poop patrol. They also have constant access to their food and water. Any help would be greatly appreciated! We are all so attached! TIA

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. I'm not really a duck person so can't ellaborate on what would be wrong with your duck but I would post in the emergency disease injury section. Try to include as much detail as you can and I'm sure someone will be able to help you https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures Wishing you the very best of luck with your duck and hope she makes a speedy recovery :frow

Thanks! My husband is out of town. He suggested they may be too hot so I shut the heat lamp off. The other duck seems fine and shows no symptoms. The brewers yeast and less heat seems to be making a difference.

I appreciate your feedback!

Glad to hear the brewer's yeast and temp change seems to be helping! Niacin deficiency may very well be the problem.

If you wanted to take an extra step, a general vitamin supplement might be a good idea (like vitachick or nutridrench poultry).

I found a bunch of threads when I typed in the search bar "duckling on back." You might also want to research other vitamin/nutrient deficiencies and neurological problems if things don't continue to improve.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will look that up. She is still doing better today. I bought a bigger water dish so they can put their beaks in farther. I'm very optimistic at this point!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom