Is my pot belly pig pregnant?!?!?

Hey do you know how much to feed a potbelly pig that is only 3 weeks old his mother did not make it after she gave birth to four and so I am haveing to bottle feed this little guy so I am asking if you know how much to feed him and he is only 3 weeks he will be 4 weeks tomorrow

I've followed this thread for a couple months now. Can anyone help me. Amy ideas how much longer she had? Pic is from yesterday

since this is a thread and I need some guidance because I'm a first timer .can everyone help me out and give opinions if my pig is pregnant she's been with a boar since March . And lately she's been acting grumpier .

If she has been with a boar that long she should be pregnant. Her teat should fill with milk shortly before she farrows.

Hello everyone! So I rescued my Jojo and her man back in Sept and was told that my male was neutered. Well I walk out to my enclosure to feed one morning and Mr. was mounting this Mrs. I have researched and asked if males will still perform the act even if neutered and get different answers. If he is truly not neutered then she is due Feb 12th. I have them separated now because it' getting closer and I don't want to take any chances. In the last two weeks she has put on some serious weight but don't know if its babies or just getting fat. What do u all think?
20180120_180409.jpg
20180121_000625.jpg

Hello everyone! So I rescued my Jojo and her man back in Sept and was told that my male was neutered. Well I walk out to my enclosure to feed one morning and Mr. was mounting this Mrs. I have researched and asked if males will still perform the act even if neutered and get different answers. If he is truly not neutered then she is due Feb 12th. I have them separated now because it' getting closer and I don't want to take any chances. In the last two weeks she has put on some serious weight but don't know if its babies or just getting fat. What do u all think?

Pigs like sex a LOT, so yes, neutered males will still do it. If they were more than 3 weeks old when fixed, they've already got the urge (many farm pigs are neutered at about 3 days old)
Your girl doesn't look pregnant right now, just fat. You can see the fat building around her shoulders and the ridge above her leg muscle and there's no udder development.

Now, that's not to say she isn't, because especially if it's her first, sometimes they don't show signs until right before, and a fat pig hides a pregnancy well. But if the Mr isn't fixed, his "boys" will be pretty noticeable.

Whether she's pregnant or not, put her on a diet. She can have all the hay and green veggies she wants (they will eat a LOT of hay) but seriously restrict her grain and starches. Like, lots of zuchinni, easy on carrots and potatoes. Potbellies were bred to get fat on a high-fiber diet and get seriously obese on grain - it's like feeding a kid a steady diet of cake. It's a nice treat, but not a mainstay. Especially if she is pregnant, you don't want her fat - it can lead to a difficult birth. I've raised potbellies for 8 years now, and birthing difficulties are the leading cause of death, but can be almost totally avoided by keeping them fit. Diet and exercise is the trick.

Pigs like sex a LOT, so yes, neutered males will still do it. If they were more than 3 weeks old when fixed, they've already got the urge (many farm pigs are neutered at about 3 days old)
Your girl doesn't look pregnant right now, just fat. You can see the fat building around her shoulders and the ridge above her leg muscle and there's no udder development.

Now, that's not to say she isn't, because especially if it's her first, sometimes they don't show signs until right before, and a fat pig hides a pregnancy well. But if the Mr isn't fixed, his "boys" will be pretty noticeable.

Whether she's pregnant or not, put her on a diet. She can have all the hay and green veggies she wants (they will eat a LOT of hay) but seriously restrict her grain and starches. Like, lots of zuchinni, easy on carrots and potatoes. Potbellies were bred to get fat on a high-fiber diet and get seriously obese on grain - it's like feeding a kid a steady diet of cake. It's a nice treat, but not a mainstay. Especially if she is pregnant, you don't want her fat - it can lead to a difficult birth. I've raised potbellies for 8 years now, and birthing difficulties are the leading cause of death, but can be almost totally avoided by keeping them fit. Diet and exercise is the trick.
Thank you for advice and I will put her on a diet and we will see what happens!!!

Well she is pregnant, I felt baby movement tonight! And yes I put her on a diet immediately! Thank you for advice!!

Well she is pregnant, I felt baby movement tonight! And yes I put her on a diet immediately! Thank you for advice!!

:D Thank me with baby pics later!!

About her diet, remember, she can have all the food she wants, just not all the grain she wants. She can have lots and lots of hay and lettuce, zucchini and apples, whatever she can rustle up outside, just easy on the grains and potatoes

Back
Top Bottom