Is my potbelly pregnant?

grumpyonion

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
We got a male/female potbelly pig in April when they were a month old and fixed the male in July thinking we did it before he impregnated out female, Sally, but think we were too late now. Does anyone know if (she is pregnant) there is a way to tell about how far along without a vet visit? These aren't the best pictures, she can still move pretty fast! Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Check out this link: http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2011/08/28/pregnancy-indicator/

I am not sure though if this method would work on a pot belly pig due to their, um, well, pot belly, LOL. Do you have any pics of her from earlier that shows her behind? (so that you can do a then and now comparison?)

A pig's gestation is 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days (a shy four months). So if she were pregnant I'd imagine she'd be "bagging up" by now. Feel her udder area, is there some swelling and development? Or does it look and feel like the male's belly?

*** Disclaimer: I have no experience with breeding hogs and am not an expert at all. I am hoping to get some Red Wattles and/or Berkshires next year though and so have been reading a bunch, especially on Sugar Mountain's website.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, that's a great website! She looks a little different in that area but I do think she looks like she's getting a milk ridge, I guess I will have to wait and see!
That's great you want pigs, I really want to start with some Tamworths next year!

Her girly part appears to be pointing down, so according to Walter/Sugar Mountain she's not pregnant. Although his experience is with regular hogs, so maybe it doesn't apply to a pot belly, I don't know.

She does seem to possibly be bagging up. Do you have any pics of the male to compare belly and mammary development with? (I'm really not familiar at all with what a pot belly normally looks like)

Back
Top Bottom