Is my pullet sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ashleyr, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ashleyr

ashleyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    My white rock girl will be 23 weeks tomorrow. She was perfectly fine yesterday but when I let them out this morning she's started to make these almost honking like noises. She's also making her regular noises along with them too. And if it helps any she also squatted for the first time this morning. Her poops look fine and normal.

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Sometimes they inhale water or whatever. and the noise eventually goes away. If it continues past a day, catch her and have a look down her throat and evaluate her health overall, then let us know.

3. ashleyr

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Okay thank you, I'll keep a eye on her today

4. ashleyr

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    I watched her throughout that day and have been continuing to keep a eye on her. The noises slowly left throughout the day so I'm guessing she inhaled water or swallowed a wood chip or something. She's all better now :) Thanks again for your help

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That's good news. [​IMG]

6. ashleyr

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Alright, so she was fine for a few days and now she's sort of sneezing and making noises similar to the noise a human makes when they have a runny nose and they breathe in (only thing I can compare it too) does she just have a cold? Can chickens get colds? Or is it something more serious?

7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Well, it's more serious than a cold. You should take her out of the flock and put her in a hospital pen immedately. And she needs to be on an antibiotic most likely. Gallimycin is good for starters.
    Are her eyes affected? There are many antibiotics you can get on line, but go to the feed store and see what they suggest, a lot of feed stores will sell Gallimycin or other antibiotics for chicken respiratory ailments.

Sorry, I just saw your post. Please keep us advised.

8. davenkim

davenkim Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    Texas
    I would prob give her 1/4 cc Tylan by mouth x 3-5 days. I find that does wonders for resp crud :)

9. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Yes, I forgot about Tylan and it's readily available. But hurry. You can inject that into the breast muscle too and TSC sells the syringes and everything.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by