Is my rabbit obese?

Quote: the rabbit doesn't let me touch it, so I don't know
Quote: the rabbit has an outdoor enclosure all to itself and has access to the enclosure at all times. it doesn't get locked inside its hutch at night

Quote: I don't think there are any harnesses available in my country that are big enough for my rabbit. it wouldn't enjoy being restrained in a harness, anyway
Quote: if I remember correctly, its mother was a Netherland dwarf, and its father was a mini lop mix

the rabbit doesn't let me touch it, so I don't know
the rabbit has an outdoor enclosure all to itself and has access to the enclosure at all times. it doesn't get locked inside its hutch at night

I don't think there are any harnesses available in my country that are big enough for my rabbit. it wouldn't enjoy being restrained in a harness, anyway
if I remember correctly, its mother was a Netherland dwarf, and its father was a mini lop mix.
I got harnesses for a couple of mine, and they don't work very well. The rabbits absolutely hate them, and the way the harnesses restrain the rabbit makes it feel as if it is being grabbed.
That does not look like a ND/mini lop mix AT ALL. Its head could be considered dwarf-like a little bit, but the ears and body type are all wrong. Are you sure?

Last edited:
If you really want to know stick a towl over its head and pick it up. Also be wearing a long sleeve or sweatshirt so it can't scratch. It will stop kicking after a little bit and then you should be able to feel. Have you considered making an outdoor run for it? That's what I did for my rabbits that were getting a bit fat. I just lines the sides with rocks to make sure they wouldn't dig out.
I got harnesses for a couple of mine, and they don't work very well. The rabbits absolutely hate them, and the way the harnesses restrain the rabbit makes it feel as if it is being grabbed.
That does not look like a ND/mini lop mix AT ALL. Its head could be considered dwarf-like a little bit, but the ears and body type are all wrong. Are you sure?

Are you sure on the breeds of the parents? Nothing out of a ND and ML could ever reach that carcass size.

I've used a harness on several of my rabbits (so that they could go outside on the grass and for rabbit hopping), and most of them have been fine with it. The only one that doesn't like the harness is a Mini Satin buck, and he's just a temperamental creature anyway. The other rabbits I've harnessed are larger breeds and somewhat lazy, in addition to being very people-friendly. Still, I wouldn't risk stressing your rabbit out, Kneedles, with a harness; it was just a suggestion. It sounds like he has a nice large area to live in and move around.

It basically lives in a run.
Thank you.
No, I am not sure.
Mother:

Father (or uncle; they looked exactly the same as each other):
The father is not a Mini Lop. I'm not so sure that the mother is a Netherlands Dwarf, either. And neither of the parents color could explain the Californian/Himilayan coloring, unless it was recessive. But both of the parents are nice-looking rabbits, regardless of breed.

It basically lives in a run. Thank you. No, I am not sure. Mother: Father (or uncle; they looked exactly the same as each other):
The father is not a Mini Lop. I'm not so sure that the mother is a Netherlands Dwarf, either. And neither of the parents color could explain the Californian/Himilayan coloring, unless it was recessive. But both of the parents are nice-looking rabbits, regardless of breed.
The OP said "Mini Lop MIX," and that's exactly what the buck looks like - too much ear control for a decent purebred, but there's a lot of angle to that ear - I'll bet it goes past horizontal when he's relaxed. The doe is a far cry from show quality, but yep, I've seen a lot of Netherland Dwarfs, even some with pedigrees, that looked like her. And as for color, absolutely you could get a Himi from a Black and a Siamese Sable. Is the rabbit in the first post overweight? Well, he appears to have a small dewlap, and a buck bred from the small breeds really shouldn't have one. So yeah, he's a bit heavier than he should be, but it is hard to say just how much.

Last edited:
The OP said "Mini Lop MIX," and that's exactly what the buck looks like - too much ear control for a decent purebred, but there's a lot of angle to that ear - I'll bet it goes past horizontal when he's relaxed. The doe is a far cry from show quality, but yep, I've seen a lot of Netherland Dwarfs, even some with pedigrees, that looked like her. And as for color, absolutely you could get a Himi from a Black and a Siamese Sable.

Is the rabbit in the first post overweight? Well, he appears to have a small dewlap, and a buck bred from the small breeds really shouldn't have one. So yeah, he's a bit heavier than he should be, but it is hard to say just how much.
He doesnt look like he has enough of an angle to the ears to be called a "mini lop mix", not to mention that his color and body type are wrong for the breed.

He doesnt look like he has enough of an angle to the ears to be called a "mini lop mix", not to mention that his color and body type are wrong for the breed.
???????????????????

The OP is in New Zealand; their Miniature Lop is pretty much analogous to our Holland Lop. From the short ears to the posture when sitting, that's exactly what the black rabbit looks like; a Holland Lop cross. But both Holland Lops and Mini Lops come in Black, sooo . . .
idunno.gif

???????????????????

The OP is in New Zealand; their Miniature Lop is pretty much analogous to our Holland Lop. From the short ears to the posture when sitting, that's exactly what the black rabbit looks like; a Holland Lop cross. But both Holland Lops and Mini Lops come in Black, sooo . . .
idunno.gif
Ok. In that case, the facial profile is quite a bit off, but the body type is a bit more correct. In both mini and Holland lops, the black is described as creamy, fully black, with no patches of discoloration. The lop cross more sheen to the coat, and quite a few patches of discoloration, but a few of them look like they are only a change of coat.

Back
Top Bottom