Is my roo becoming aggressive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tomato lady, Nov 17, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Yesterday I went up to take care of my flock. I have 28 pullets and 3 roos in that coop. Two of my roos are Polish and they are always puffing up their feathers at me. This time one of the Polish roos jumped up on the feed bucket behind me and stamped his feet at me. It was very loud because the bucket was half empty. When I turned to look at him he was all puffed up at me again. I spoke sternly to him and pushed him down. He walked away grumbling. He is about 6 1/2 months old now.

Is this just normal roo behavior, or should I be worried about him? Sometimes he jumps up on a roost to do that where he is at the same level as my head.

2. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    It would bother me, mine just recently charged me three times in a row. I am trying to come to terms with stew pot camp. If he does it again he is on permanant vacation.

3. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Please be very careful, rooster for some reason go for the face!!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like he is trying to be the boss and sounds like you handled it well. [​IMG]
    When he does it, push him away, chase him, don't back down. Make sure he is the one to walk away first.
    Also, don't get down on his level. He can hurt you with his wings and/or spurs if he decides to take his dominance trial a step further.
    Keep up the good work! He can learn. It's testosterone poisoning at this point.

5. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I just went up to the coop and got a real surprise. While I was busy changing the water my EE roo jumped on my hand and drew blood -- not serious blood, but he broke the skin so I took precautions against infection. He has never made an aggressive move toward me or my grandchildren. The coop is now off limits to my grandchildren until I either get the roosters isolated or gone.

My EE rooster is beautiful and I raised him from a chick, but that will not save him if he isn't nice. Today I gave him his warning, next time I get rid of him. I think he might be trying to take over since one of the Polish has always been "the roo".

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's awful. Bad boy! Read my BYC page on how I handled a roo that was getting uppity. Good luck to you and take care of that wound.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by