Is my Roo doing it right??

RenataPorter

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
I just introduced a new rooster last week and he's working his way through the pecking order. And the last two days he's starting to do his "thing". So, my question is that it looks like he's not in the right place. I know he'll figure it out, he's 6 months old. Pretty docile and a real beaut. But I am seriously confused on how this works. I assumed it would be from the back where the vent is, but it looks like he's up top in the middle of the girl's back.

Seems like such a silly question, but I'm trying to watch, learn and understand how all this works.

Thankyou!

Attachments

• Resized_20211227_122730.jpeg
    Resized_20211227_122730.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 4
I just introduced a new rooster last week and he's working his way through the pecking order. And the last two days he's starting to do his "thing". So, my question is that it looks like he's not in the right place. I know he'll figure it out, he's 6 months old. Pretty docile and a real beaut. But I am seriously confused on how this works. I assumed it would be from the back where the vent is, but it looks like he's up top in the middle of the girl's back.

Seems like such a silly question, but I'm trying to watch, learn and understand how all this works.

Thankyou!
Is he your only male?
Have you ever seen a rooster successfully mate a hen before?

What happens is that the hen squats down, the rooster stands on her back, she lifts her tail out of the way, he arches his body to connect their cloacas for a moment, he jumps down, she gives a funny shake, and it's over. :)

I'm getting fertile eggs without having ever seen my cockerel actually mounting the hens. :)

Back
Top Bottom