Is my Roo molting or getting bullied?

cherieangelle

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
Before & afters of my roo. He’s 9 months old.
Is he molting or something else? I don’t see any bugs on him at all. I added a new Roo to the flock & they seem to be getting along great but also wondering if there could be bullying when in their coop at night. What do y’all think?
Last pic is what he looks like today.

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1185.jpeg
    IMG_1185.jpeg
    947 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    929.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1096.jpeg
    IMG_1096.jpeg
    946.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1785.jpeg
    IMG_1785.jpeg
    883.2 KB · Views: 19
He's a bit young to be molting, but he could still be growing in his adult feathers.

Silkies attract external parasites, so I would definitely check him over well, especially around the vent area.

I can't see much of him by your last photo, so I can't comment if he looks plucked or not. Sometimes hens will pluck at roosters too.

I would spend some time quietly observing you flock to see if he is indeed being harassed and plucked by other birds.

He's a bit young to be molting, but he could still be growing in his adult feathers.

Silkies attract external parasites, so I would definitely check him over well, especially around the vent area.

I can't see much of him by your last photo, so I can't comment if he looks plucked or not. Sometimes hens will pluck at roosters too.

I would spend some time quietly observing you flock to see if he is indeed being harassed and plucked by other birds.
Well from what I’ve seen him & the other Roo get along good. The other Roo knows he is the alpha! My big Roo is always the first in the coop. I spend a couple hours in the morning with them & a couple hours in the afternoon every day. That’s why I was assuming it might be going on at night when they’re in their coop

I feel like it’s just wet from the rain but then again I know it’s not. He’s literally missing spots in his head. He’s such a good boy he doesn’t pick on anyone so I can totally see him being bullied

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpeg
    IMG_1807.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    905.2 KB · Views: 10
Before & afters of my roo. He’s 9 months old.
Is he molting or something else? I don’t see any bugs on him at all. I added a new Roo to the flock & they seem to be getting along great but also wondering if there could be bullying when in their coop at night. What do y’all think?
Last pic is what he looks like today.
He is absolutely beautiful!!!

I feel like it’s just wet from the rain but then again I know it’s not. He’s literally missing spots in his head. He’s such a good boy he doesn’t pick on anyone so I can totally see him being bullied
I see lice nit clusters on his crest. You will need to treat him for lice. You also will need to help remove those white clumps as they don't come out easy.

I just treated the entire coop with elector PSP less than a month ago, I haven’t seen any bugs on him but I will definitely check again tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom