Is my roost to high? Windows question, chicken ladders?

the girls club

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
I have convereted an old milk barn from an old farmhouse to my chicken coop
My windows are 41 inches high. Slider type new windows
My roost is 24 inches high from floor
My bedding was first straw but changed it to pine shavings
Could any of these measurements or bedding contributed to one of my Golden Buff girls. I have 6 of them. To getting bumblefoot.
I have 2 windows in the coop. 3 chickens seem to sleep in the window and 3 chickens sleep on the roost. I go out in evening and thats the way they are. I have a screen door with a latch. That I keep latched and the wooden front door I shut at night. I can't do anything but open and shut the windows. By meaning lowering them.
I can lower the roost though The roos is wood a 2 by 2. Tire beds are on the floor or just slightly off the floor. The floor is a cement floor covered well in pine shavings. Should I go back to straw?I have a slider wimdow in the bottom of my coop that has like a lpiece of wood with little pieces of wood across it that looks like a small ladder that goes to a landing in frot of the lower slider window that goes to the outside. With a small walkway to the ground
I just want to make this the best coop for my girls
Thank you all in advance for your comments
Any commets would be greatly appreciated

I certainly don't think 2 feet is too high - my roosts are between 3' and 4' but a couple of mine roost on a support beam that is 6' off the ground. I've only had one case of bumblefoot in the last 4 years. I think what's on the coop floor is more crucial. I use prairie hay. I think the deep litter method might help as well. But, chickens can get bumblefoot from a thorn or a sharp rock.

Your birds will tend to roost on the highest thing in the coop that they can get on. You can use either pine shavings or the straw for floor bedding it doesn't really matter, as long as it is a natural compostable material. I like the deep litter method as well its much easier to take care of . Start out with about a 3" layer of your chosen bedding and keep adding as needed till you have at least 6 inches. Stir it occasionally and add a little more. I like to scatter some scratch on top and let the birds stir it up. Once a year remove about 75% of the top but don't ever get it all, you have to keep the bacteria going, add what you removed to your compost pile and go another year with adding and stirring occasionally as needed.

Back
Top Bottom