Is my rooster afraid of large hens?

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
I have three large hens and a rooster, all from the same hatch, that are now almost 24 weeks old. The hens have not begun to lay yet. The rooster has never attempted to mount one of the three large hens for mating. Yet, anytime he could get close to the little silkie hen with a chick, he'd viciously mount and try to mate with her; maybe he actually did.
Is it possible that he's afraid of the large hens?
BTW, I have the silkie and her chick back in their own coop now, and they have a fenced-off section of the run to themselves.

He'll figure it out bit by bit w/the "sisters" and at first they'll scream bloody murder cussing him out and then he figure out the "Mexican Hat Dance" I call it, and start wooing them - it takes a bit of time and effort on his part;)

Quote:
haha! the "mexican hat dance" is so funny to watch! but sadly i have the same problem, my porcelain d'uccle bantam has not once in his life mate with another chicken. not even wiht the porcelain d'uccle hen (which is smaller than him) he just has bad fertilitie!

He will figure it out. Some take longer than others. I have one rooster I have NEVER seen him with my own eyes mount the hens and all the eggs in that pen are fertile so he is indeed doing it.

Back
Top Bottom