Is my Rooster Broody!?

TheLukeMeister

Songster
May 18, 2015
So, my silkie rooster, Bubbles, is sitting on 2 eggs and a golf ball. I haven't seen him mate or crow, but I have seen my other 2 silkie hens lay and when I cracked the eggs open, they were fertile. So, he is positively a rooster. Any way, I went out to check on my broody hen, and there he was, sitting in another nest box. He was squawking and pecking, just like any broody hen. So I decided to do a test (I do with my other hens to make sure they're not eggbound and actually broody). I got 2 eggs, and put them in front of him in the nest, and sure enough, he raked them under himself with his beak! I've read that roosters sometimes sit on the nest to get the hens to go broody and raise his young, but this seems a little more... "hardcore" (for lack of a better word).
So, does anybody know what's going on?

I'm wondering if you mistook infertile egg for fertile.

Yeah, maybe so... But the eggs had perfect bulls eyes, I don't know
idunno.gif
. And now, he (/she) has pulled breast feathers!

Once a very long time ago I had a barred rock roo that decided to sit. It was the strangest thing.. I don't remember the outcome of that though. I think I just left him to it

Do you have a pic of your "roo"

Yeah, here.
His crest. (pitiful huh?)

He's the buff in the middle.

And his "streamers". (also pretty pitiful)

He is pretty feminine, but I've got fertile eggs from my hens, and he's the only one I haven't seen lay.

Back
Top Bottom