Is my Rooster trying to lay an egg?

SuziQ18

Songster
Feb 17, 2017
Pacoima, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Dr. Pecker has been climbing into nesting boxes lately and clucking/cooing like he is trying to lay an egg! Craziest and Funniest thing I have witnessed, chicken-wise. Has anyone else experienced this rooster behavior? (Or maybe he is just trying to show them how it's done LOL)

On another note, I recently dusted my coop thoroughly with Food-Grade DE (just a light dusting, nothing heavy) and noticed a day or so since then, that Dr. Pecker has developed an slight, raspy, cough now and then. Could the DE have played a part in that does anyone know? Thanks experts! I can always count on you guys for your wisdom and experience in new issues that arise for me. Crazy Chicken Lady.

DSCN0780.JPG DSCN0778.JPG

Last edited:
Lots of roosters like to show the hens a good spot to lay. Sometimes though I find them just sitting in the boxes like goofs. My bantam roosters do it more as well as younger roosters.

I personally avoid DE like the plague, it's a respiratory irritant to both humans and birds, and pretty much everything else.

Lots of roosters like to show the hens a good spot to lay. Sometimes though I find them just sitting in the boxes like goofs. My bantam roosters do it more as well as younger roosters.

I personally avoid DE like the plague, it's a respiratory irritant to both humans and birds, and pretty much everything else.
Wow, I have never seen my roo do that :D

My first rooster got in the nesting box and acted like a hen and he did it many times. I just busted out laughing. I know someone posted on here that their rooster sits in a nest box until his favorite hen has laid her egg. Those boys are just cracra sometimes......

It is food-grade DE. Perhaps that is what has caused this bit of a cough he has now. Thanks!

My first rooster got in the nesting box and acted like a hen and he did it many times. I just busted out laughing. I know someone posted on here that their rooster sits in a nest box until his favorite hen has laid her egg. Those boys are just cracra sometimes......
LOLOL...Craziest and funniest thing I have witnessed!

Back
Top Bottom