is my silkie a cock or a hen? also, at 25-35 weeks old shouldnt my favorelle and silkie not be layin

cazzzyboy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
hi every1. im confused as to why my silkie and favorelle hasnt started laying yet? the silkie will be around 30 weeks old by now and my favorelle maybe 25 weeks old. i think the silkie is a hen but could i be wrong? it still has no crest or wattles and never makes any alarming noises. also it has a hens stance ( not as upright as a cock would stand but it does have longer hairs around the neck? please help me!!!! thanks

hi. i cant figure out how too. It took me ages just to get the picture up as the profile. The two in the picture are the ones in question though. thanks.

When you click reply, at the top of where you write you will find a paperclip, run your mouse along to the left and there is a picture icon that when you hover your mouse over it it says insert image, click on it and follow instructions.
I know its sooo confusing at first!!
Good luck!!
big_smile.png

Can't see much from your tiny photo...but it's not unusual for a silkie to hold of on laying eggs until nearly a year old (10 months).
I know nothing about favorelles if there's anything special about their time line.

CG

Your silkie looks like a cock to me, but doesn't look 30 weeks. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo.
More pics of its comb and body would be nice.
I don't know anything about faverolles, but I know they are one of those breeds you can sex by their coloring, so I would look into it.

I don't even see any pictures. What color is your Favorelle. You can tell them early. If it is a salmon the girls are blondish colored and the boys look like they are(roughly) wearing a tuxedo in black, white and orange Oh! in the avatar? The salmon must be a girl if she is over 8 weeks. The silkie I just don't know. But thats the way silkies are.

Last edited:
I agree with silkiemelon that the silkies can take a long time to lay. I expect that would be the same with the Favorelles because they are a rather large breed and not a so called production breed.

Back
Top Bottom